On my way from Pashupathinath to Chandragiri ... (Part 3)
With peace in my mind and faith in my heart, I walked out of the temple towards where I had dropped my precious belonging, lending no ear to the adviser who offered to give me the "phool prasad". And Presto....! My sandals are gone... so much for not listening to the shopkeeper soothsayer... who already knew that I would loose my sandals.
Knowing that I cannot get a replacement anywhere near as I know, that like they say along with cuss words..."My foot" is a foot long and I don't get my size even in Andhra, Telangana or Punjab, where people are supposed to have big feet. I resumed my walk sandal-less... till I found a nearby shop selling footwear made of hay. With a still gleaming smile I asked "Do you have huge ones... the biggest possible" and I got myself a pair which fairly fit my feet. A new experience... which did not take me haywire but with "hay-footed"
My next destination was Chandragiri, after my breakfast. Before I got into Bikash's car, who was my chauffeur for the next two days, I asked him whether I would get better footwear which could be a little more comfortable. For my fourteen size feet, I got a barely comfortable 11 size, the biggest possible I could find, I resumed my journey. Through dusty roads and busy streets of Thamel, and Naxal (Really its the name of a place in Kathmandu) I reached my destination, the foothills of Chandragiri. the scenic view of the valley was breathtaking and made me forget all that happened.

Happy smiles were back again when I reached the counter for the cable car ride up the mountain. The counter specifies the ticket rates for foreigners, SAARC country visitors and Indians. The comfort of using Indian currency also made my trip easier. Unlike the usual cable car rides I have been, this one had its uniqueness that it was well over 60 degrees inclined. I really am surprised how well they have maintained, or the way they took pains to construct the pillars that hold the cables that take up up the mountain. Every moment was a sight beyond belief.

Beautiful mountains the tiny looking valley that I traversed a little while ago, the clouds and the mountains hugging each other at a distance. The green tall trees looked like an arrangement of green broccoli.

Even if you are a person not scared of heights, this ride can give you thrills. Or at least make you feel really small before the huge mountains. Each time the overhead wheels pass a post, you can feel the skipping of a beat, but the breathtaking views bring you back to the dream that you are living then. The cable cars manufactured by Doppelmayr, took me to a different world in about 12 to 15 minutes.

The mountain top was more welcoming with restrooms, grocery stores and even a Bar... for those who want to still get high. The other attractions there would be the Chandragiri shopping area and the play area for kids.
The thought of the cable lines going down, though safe was thrilling. I was greeted by a board that said I am at over 8000 feet. That gave me a thought of how tall Mount Everest would be... at least four times the height of Chandragiri.

A walk uphill took me to a more enticing sight of a temple on top of the mountain. There is a viewing gallery for those who want to see Mount Everest through a telescope, a cafeteria for those who want refreshments and a temple who want to thank for the safe climb uphill.
I was attracted by a souvenir store nearby and walked into it. I was the Nepali Dhaka Topi the traditional caps of different colours. I tried a few and was happy with a blue one. Buying it was simple until the tiny sales girl wanted to adjust the cap on top of my head. Like being knighted, I knelled down and she set it right on my head. I could hear the giggles around as the other sales girls were finding it amusing. Having the cap set right
I was ready for the Bhaleswar Mahadev tempe visit on top of Chandragiri. The local belief is that the visit to the temple is a ticket to the Shivaloka in the next life... But I would say, this experience itself would be as blessed as a Shivaloka visit.
About the Bhaladev Mahadev temple in my next... until then let me relive those beautiful moments. One of the lore I read in the Chandragiri website is as follows:
"With reference to the description written in Himvatakhanda, Bhaleshwor Mahadev appeared at the spot where Satidevi’s ‘Bhala’ or the forehead fell off from her dead body. It is believed that Satidevi, Shiva’s consort, gave up her life by jumping in a fire pyre at her father Daksha Prajapati’s yagna (sacred fire ritual) after Daksha insulted her husband Shiva in front of scores of gods and goddesses invited at the religious ceremony. An enraged Shiva then carried her dead body on his back and walked across the world like a madman for long span of time, without taking note of Satidevi’s decaying body. Different ‘shakti-centres’ were established at sites where different parts of Satidevi’s body fell in course of Lord Shiva’s mourning. A temple was erected at the same site where Bhaleshwor Mahadev appeared."
My next destination was Chandragiri, after my breakfast. Before I got into Bikash's car, who was my chauffeur for the next two days, I asked him whether I would get better footwear which could be a little more comfortable. For my fourteen size feet, I got a barely comfortable 11 size, the biggest possible I could find, I resumed my journey. Through dusty roads and busy streets of Thamel, and Naxal (Really its the name of a place in Kathmandu) I reached my destination, the foothills of Chandragiri. the scenic view of the valley was breathtaking and made me forget all that happened.
I was ready for the Bhaleswar Mahadev tempe visit on top of Chandragiri. The local belief is that the visit to the temple is a ticket to the Shivaloka in the next life... But I would say, this experience itself would be as blessed as a Shivaloka visit.
About the Bhaladev Mahadev temple in my next... until then let me relive those beautiful moments. One of the lore I read in the Chandragiri website is as follows:
"With reference to the description written in Himvatakhanda, Bhaleshwor Mahadev appeared at the spot where Satidevi’s ‘Bhala’ or the forehead fell off from her dead body. It is believed that Satidevi, Shiva’s consort, gave up her life by jumping in a fire pyre at her father Daksha Prajapati’s yagna (sacred fire ritual) after Daksha insulted her husband Shiva in front of scores of gods and goddesses invited at the religious ceremony. An enraged Shiva then carried her dead body on his back and walked across the world like a madman for long span of time, without taking note of Satidevi’s decaying body. Different ‘shakti-centres’ were established at sites where different parts of Satidevi’s body fell in course of Lord Shiva’s mourning. A temple was erected at the same site where Bhaleshwor Mahadev appeared."
Comments
Post a Comment