At Bhaleswar Mahadev Temple... (Part 4)
On top of Chandragiri, where once people used come by walk, trekking the daunting mountains, from 2016, people find it easier to reach the temple and get a glimpse of the Shivaloka too. The Bhaleswar Mahadev temple resembles the typical pagoda style of architecture but retains the sanctity and austerity of the Hindu traditions in a temple. The experience in all was different as I saw neatly kept footwear on a stand, no rush, but tourists walking unaware of the greatness or holiness of the temple. Until I read more about the temple, I too was one of them.
The simplicity and cleanliness of the temple premises attracted me a lot. As I walked in I could smell the fragrance of incense in the air and could hear the bells ringing, which plucked a few strings of faith in my heart. The sanctum sanctorum was simple roofed by the pagoda styled structure with the Gajur (the golden pinnacle) on top of it. The tall standing Trishul (Trident) with the damru stood tall and spoke a lot about the power faith had at that height. The only other Bhaleswar temple I have heard of is the 10th Century temple in Utharakhand in India.



A huge golden Nandi (The bull or vehicle of Lord Shiva), so life like, in a sitting position on a pedestal is something that you can't miss. The eye to detail and the finesse leaves anyone who visits the temple in awe.
The other statues do have the Chinese and Buddhist influence. Like that of the lion by the steps and the dragon supporting the roof also known as "Yaazhi" or "Vyaali" in southern India. The interesting fact remains that the peculiar dragon, a typical feature of the southern temple architecture goes missing after Kerala and Tamil Nadu, is then seen evidently in every temple in Nepal. Does it show signs of a transit in civilisations is a matter to be elucidated by the anthropologists.

Architect Shankar Nath Rimal, the man behind the new temple has done true justice to all traditional values and given it a special touch. It is common to see rotating prayer drums in Buddhist monasteries, instead you can see a huge bronze bell at the temple, which when sounded resonates the whole area and sound just melts away into the mountains.

The temple also has a name Ichcheswar Mahadev, meaning Mahadev who grants all wishes. The huge Trident is worth a picture perfect moment for the tourists.
The upadevata or other deities around the temple include "Narthana Ganapathy" or Lord Ganesha in a dance has the bronze sculpture with a damru in his hands and his vahana the mouse by his right leg. The detailing and the proximity made me take more pictures after my paying my respects to the lord. On the opposite side you can see a beautiful bronze idol of Hanuman too, with the same amount of detail.

Every Shiva temple have the bhoothagana or the representation of the army of Lord Shiva. Here too there was a different depiction which does have a Chinese influence in its style.
The woodwork amazes anyone who would spend a few moments looking at them. The intricate carvings and the minute detail proves that the careful hands of the sculptors and artisans still have that special divine touch to bring you a spiritual experience of what human hands can do.
The offerings at the temple did have the options including the ghee lamps garlands and rudraksha, which is so native for the Nepali tradition of Shiva worship.

You are sure not to miss a statue of the monarch Maharajadhiraj Prithvi Narayan Shah. Maharajadhiraja Prithivi Narayan Shah was the last ruler of the Gorkha Kingdom, and first monarch of Kingdom of Nepal (or The Kingdom of Gorkha). He claimed to be a Gorkhali monarch of Rajput origin from medieval India, who started the campaign for the unification of Nepal as Asal Hindustan ("Real Land of Hindus") enforcing Hindu social code Dharmaśāstra over his reign and refer to his country as being inhabitable for Hindus. He is believed to have been a devotee of Bhaleswar Mahadev and prayed here for his dreams of establishing the Kingdom, which came true.

I saw a whole lot of tourists who took time either to click a picture of the statue of the king or take a selfie with him. The respect for the King was seen on the faces of the locals who came to visit the Chandragiri Hills.

The moment you step out of the temple, its a modern world, which reminded me of the fact that the life and dreams are always separated by the very thin line of faith imagination or art.
The promise of Shivaloka in the next is something that I cannot assure. But you are sure to get a glimpse of it once you are on top of Chandragiri. My journey seeks its next destination of Swayambhunath Monastery where I saw the eyes of buddha. More in my next... until then I share the glimpses of Shivaloka I had from top of the Chandragiri hills standing beside Maharajadhiraj Prithvi Narayan Shah and Bhaleswar Mahadev....
The other statues do have the Chinese and Buddhist influence. Like that of the lion by the steps and the dragon supporting the roof also known as "Yaazhi" or "Vyaali" in southern India. The interesting fact remains that the peculiar dragon, a typical feature of the southern temple architecture goes missing after Kerala and Tamil Nadu, is then seen evidently in every temple in Nepal. Does it show signs of a transit in civilisations is a matter to be elucidated by the anthropologists.
Every Shiva temple have the bhoothagana or the representation of the army of Lord Shiva. Here too there was a different depiction which does have a Chinese influence in its style.
I saw a whole lot of tourists who took time either to click a picture of the statue of the king or take a selfie with him. The respect for the King was seen on the faces of the locals who came to visit the Chandragiri Hills.
The promise of Shivaloka in the next is something that I cannot assure. But you are sure to get a glimpse of it once you are on top of Chandragiri. My journey seeks its next destination of Swayambhunath Monastery where I saw the eyes of buddha. More in my next... until then I share the glimpses of Shivaloka I had from top of the Chandragiri hills standing beside Maharajadhiraj Prithvi Narayan Shah and Bhaleswar Mahadev....
Be with me as I move to my next destination... or should I say my journey towards more ... Await an interesting taste bud tingling must try lunch option in Nepal in my next...
Comments
Post a Comment